Hiya, today I have for you a quite a complex card that I made as a commission last year for a lady who wanted a Christmas Card for her mother that featured penguins. Her brief was obviously to include the penguins but also to make it incredibly sparkily, and finally to make it so very different to anything you could purchasing shops.
I hope you’ll agree when you see this card that I fulfilled this brief. Certainly the customer thought so and so did her mother. For some reason I didn’t make a video of this card, I think that it really was such a mishmash of thoughts and ideas all colliding together that I just didn’t know where I was going with it or how it was going to be put together. I just didn’t feel that I could film it and do it justice for you. In hindsight I do wish I had and now especially since I have the capability of doing voice-over I could’ve gone back after editing and made it make sense, chopping out all the bits of me dilly dawdling LOL! Anyway it is what it is, although to add even more insult to injury it was such a rush as well as everything else, I barely have any photographs of it either. In fact I very nearly didn’t even have the couple that I do have. I was at the craft fair waiting for the customer to collect the card and I suddenly realised that I hadn’t taken any pictures so I quickly did so but it wasn’t the best light and there wasn’t time to fiddle around with close-ups etc but despite this I thought the card was so different that it was worth showing you anyway, I hope you’ll agree. But now enough to chatter and excuses let’s get to our Christmas Side Stepper Acetate Penguin Card
So I made this is as best I can how I made this card:
- For my card base I used a pre-scored side stepper card
- I covered the front and all the steps of the card base in the silver snowflake mirri card.
- Then I matted and layered blue pattern paper, yellow stripe paper onto the side front panel and the two steps at the back – so if you can see I did not mat and layer any pattern paper on the very front step of the card.
- Next I matted the silver glitter paper and dark blue spot paper to the side panel and the very back step, I left the middle step as it was as it was to this step I would add my topper.
- I printed off one whole topper sheet of the penguin with the background plus additional layers for decoupage onto that main image. However I did not use all the layers on the main topper and therefore created a couple more penguins to use elsewhere on my card. This came off I believe a Rob Addams CD but I am not 100% sure .
- Taking my main topper I matted it onto a layer of the silver snowflake mirri card.
- Using some wet glue I added ‘snow’ glitter to the topper to create a real snowy feel to the topper.
- Finally on the topper I added the acetate. I scored it at the top and bottom at about 1″ and then folded that over the top and bottom of the topper. Then to hide the workings I added another piece of the mirri card to the back of the topper.
- Next I added a sentiment clear sticker to the acetate “all my love’ plus some of the snowflakes that I cut from silver glitter card on my Cricut.
- I then attached the acetate topper to the second step back.
- Then I added the additional penguins to the front side panel. I pulled up the blue dot mat and popped one of the penguins behind.
- To the side panel, I had some gorgeous silver glitter ribbon and tied that around the top, added some more of the Cricut Snowflakes.
- Next I cut out and igloo, some tags and a merry christmas sentiment on my Cricut
- So then as the final touch I added these to the front step and that was the card done.
So here are some of the Cartridges I used on my Cricut, I can’t remember them all but I think this is the main ones:
- Merry Christmas sentiment – Cricut Cartridge Jolly Holidays
- Igloo – Cricut Cartridge Create a Critter
- Snowflakes – Cricut Cartridge When Its Cold Outside
So that is my Christmas Side Stepper Acetate Penguin Card and I hope that although there are not that many photos that you can get a feel for the card and that you liked it. So for now though hugs and have a great craft day,